Extraordinary Temple of Ramses II sanctuary in Abu Simbel
Cut out of the mountain on the west bank of the Nile somewhere in the range of 1274 and 1244 BC, this monumental fundamental sanctuary of the Abu Simbel complex was as much committed to the revered Ramses II himself as to Ra-Horakhty, Amun and Ptah. The four monster statues of the pharaoh, which front the sanctuary, resemble huge sentinels looking out for the approaching traffic from the south, without a doubt structured as a notice of the quality of the pharaoh.
Throughout the hundreds of years, both the Nile and the desert sands moved, and this sanctuary was lost to the world until 1813 when it was rediscovered by chance by the Swiss pilgrim Jean-Louis Burckhardt. Just one of the heads was appearing over the sand, the following head was severed and, of the staying two, just the crowns could be seen. Enough sand was cleaned up in 1817 by Giovanni Belzoni for the sanctuary to be entered.
From the sanctuary’s forecourt, a short trip of steps paves the way to the porch before the enormous shake cut exterior, which is about 30m high and 35m wide. Guarding the passage, three of the four renowned monster statues gaze out over the water into time everlasting – the internal left statue crumbled in classical times and its chest area still lies on the ground. The statues, more than 20m high, are joined by littler statues of the pharaoh’s mom, Queen Tuya, his better half Nefertari and a portion of his preferred youngsters. Over the passage, between the focal throned giants, is the figure of the bird of prey headed sun god Ra-Horakhty. Check this colombia tourism.
The top of the huge lobby is finished with vultures, symbolizing the defensive goddess Nekhbet, and is upheld by eight segments, each fronted by an Osiride statue of Ramses II. Reliefs on the dividers portray the pharaoh’s ability to fight, trampling over his adversaries and butchering them before the divine beings. On the north, the divider is a delineation of the well-known Battle of Kadesh (c 1274 BC), in what is currently Syria, where Ramses roused his disheartened armed force with the goal that they won the fight against the Hittites. The scene is overwhelmed by a well-known help of Ramses in his chariot, shooting bolts at his escaping adversaries. Additionally unmistakable is the Egyptian camp, walled off by its warriors’ round-beat shields, and the sustained Hittite town, encompassed by the Orontes River.
The following lobby, the four-sectioned vestibule where Ramses and Nefertari appear before the divine beings and the sun-powered barques, prompts the holy asylum, where Ramses and the group of three of lords of the Great Temple sit on their positions of royalty.
The first sanctuary was adjusted so that every 21 February and 21 October, Ramses’ birthday and crowning celebration day, the first beams of the rising sun moved over the hypostyle corridor, through the vestibule and into the asylum, where they enlighten the figures of Ra-Horakhty, Ramses II and Amun. Ptah, to one side, was never expected to be enlightened. Since the sanctuaries were moved, this wonder happens one day later. Read more good article here.